SERVES: 2 | PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
Typically, you would slow cook dhal, with whole freshly ground spices. However, this one-pan version is full of flavour and takes just 30 minutes. This speedy dish is also highly nutritious. Carrots are loaded with beta-carotene, a form of Vitamin A which supports healthy skin and our immune system. The combination of lentils and rice also provide a complete protein source.
I really like a bowl of this dhal for breakfast if I have any leftover (without the rice).
· 1 onion
· 2 cloves of garlic
· 1 thumb of ginger
· 1 red chilli
· 1 tsp curry powder
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp cumin powder
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 200ml coconut milk
· 500ml vegetable stock
· 160g red split lentils
· 3 carrots
· 80g spinach
· 80g brown rice
· 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
· Flaked almonds
1. Prepare your rice as per cooking instructions
2. Finely dice the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli
Add 1 tbsp oil (preferably coconut oil) to a large pan on a medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 10 minutes
3. Add the spices for a further 3 minutes until they become aromatic
4. Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and lentils into the same pan. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes with a lid on
5. Meanwhile peel and grate the carrots and add to the dhal for the last 5 minutes of cooking
6. Remove from the heat, stir through the spinach, add the juice of half of the lime, and put the lid back on for a couple of minutes until wilted
7. Serve with brown rice, and a dollop of coconut yoghurt with the flaked almonds and some coriander, extra lime and fresh chilli if you fancy!
Nutrition information per person: 570 calories / 59g carbs / 22g fat / 24g protein.
Recipe in collaboration with https://harvestday.ie/
Book a complimentary discovery call today to see if you can benefit from a personalised nutrition consultation email@example.com
Read more about nutritional therapy https://www.foundednutrition.com/about
Tag @founded_nutrition on instagram https://www.instagram.com/founded_nutrition/