SERVES: 4 | PREP TIME: 60 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES Nutrition info per person: 590 calories/88g carbs /19g fat / 15g protein. Vegetarian / Vegan alternative
No more sad nut roasts. This vegetarian, or vegan, festive alternative will be the star of the show on your table, and can be made in advance. The mushroom, cavolo nero, quinoa, cranberry and chestnut filling pairs perfectly. Quinoa is a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids and fantastic for those leaning towards a more plant based diet
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
200g cavolo nero
A handful of rosemary, thyme, sage
1 tbsp chilli if you like heat
½ tsp cinnamon
180g chestnuts pre-cooked and chopped
2 packs of short-crust pastry (Jus-Roll do vegan and GF options)
For the wash:
1 egg yolk, 2 tbsp milk (Vg: plant based milk and maple syrup)
You will need a star/snowflake cookie cutter
1. Cook the quinoa and leave to cool.
2. Dice the onion and garlic and sauté in a large pan on a medium heat for 5 mins. Chop and add the mushrooms for a few further minutes.
3. Add the cooked quinoa, chestnuts, cranberries, kale and herbs. Cook for 3 minutes, and remove to cool.
4. After 15 minutes, roll your pastry and place a piece of cling film on top (reserve a small piece of pastry for decoration)
5. Add the filling to the center in a large sausage shape and roll the cling film tightly, but not the pastry. Chill the wrapped filling for 1 hour in the fridge.
6. Preheat the oven to 180’c. Carefully removing the cling film, placing the chilled filling back in the middle of your pastry sheet and fold the pastry over sealing a seam in the center and at both ends. You can cut some festive shapes with the leftover pastry and use to decorate covering the seam.
7. Mix the egg wash and apply liberally. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
This can be served immediately or made the day before, and warmed before serving.